Me getting in position to photo ID a whale shark

February 27, 2011

Same Dilemma: Plan A, B, or C

The encouraging news is that I got an email from the director of the Marine Conservation Society Seychelles (MCSS) telling me I was short-listed for the 2011 whale shark internship program they offer (August 24th-Octoer 31st). I will find out either this week or next if I got it. I almost feel like posting this is going to jinx my chances. I thought I didn't get this internship long ago so I haven't really been considering going, so my plan A: Honduras and B: Georgia has taken on the extra element of plan C: Seychelles Islands. <-- SO EXCITED!
I found another organization on the Honduran island, Utila, where my Whale Shark Oceanic Research Center (WSORC) is that claimed to carry out whale shark research. The website is literally called utilawhalesharkresearch.com. I emailed them to see if they were in need of a research assistant and the response was 1 sentence "I am afraid that we are full at that time, also this research does not happen in summer as there are no whale sharks around normally at that time the main time for them is now and the next couple of months." Either he's dumb because Utila is one of the few places in the world where whale sharks can be seen year round or he's being difficult on purpose. Discouraging none the less.
I've found 8 more articles using google scholar but I need to send requests for inter-library loans because only their abstracts were available online.
I've finalized my budget for food, lodging, and program fees for each of my internship possibilities. (Utila, Honduras, Georgia Aquarium, and the Seychelles Islands). I will find out next month whether or not I got into the MCSS or Georgia Aquarium. There are thousands of dollars difference between the 3 programs, so once I know where I'm going this summer I can really start focusing my capstone question and have a dollar amount to be asking for. Because my internship options are national and international I have to meet with the Internship Coordinator AND the director of the International Center to ask for funding. I will be meeting with the International Center this week to begin the process of seeing how they can help me. The problem is that if I go to Honduras I will need the money in the summer; if I go to Seychelles I will need the money in the fall. Only a week or two left of waiting before I'll have my options whittled down again. And that's what I've been up to!

**UPDATE: apparently the WSORC is the only organization that has a whale shark research permit from the Honduran government so even if I somehow managed to convince the Deep Blue Resort to take me on as an intern it wouldn't be that legit. Also, I spoke with the Director of the International Center about international internships and he said there was nothing we could really discuss until I knew which internship I would be accepting. He wanted to set up a meeting in a week or two once I know which country I will be going to (that will determine if I will be leaving in the summer or fall.)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's great. What would the work in Seychelles be focusing on? The work in Honduras might not be "legal"-legal, but would it still be great for a resume? Or would the research you could do be nullified by the illegality? Would this class not accept it? Your information would still be valid, so you could still write a thesis or awareness paper or something on them.

    Anyway, You are making crazy progress. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah,

    six days on, where do things stand now?

    ReplyDelete