Me getting in position to photo ID a whale shark

March 12, 2011

Still Moving Forward in 3 Different Directions

I found out why the MCSS (Marine Conservation Society Seychelles) has extended their intern application deadline until the end of the month: they short-listed 12 people--myself included--but when they asked if everyone was still interested only 3 people were--myself included! Does this mean I have the internship? Haha, I don't know, maybe because they don't have anyone else at the moment, then yes? They told me I'd find out if I got it at the end of the week, but I haven't heard anything yet. Also, the Georgia Aquarium called this week and set up a phone interview with me for next Thursday! That's progress.
But still the dilemma is that I don't know WHERE I'm going yet, so I still feel like I'm moving forward in 3 different directions (MSCC, Georgia Aquarium, or WSORC). So I'm just focusing on researching whale sharks and ecotourism more. I found 9 more articles but I still need to finish going through them and finding which ones are most useful. I've started focusing more on whale shark articles in the Seychelles Islands just in case I get that internship. The MSCC is my #1 internship choice so far.
The last class we had still haunts me about finding 3 faculty to be on my "committee", so until I know where I'm going I won't worry about it... Also, what the heck should my thesis be. I tentatively said in the last blog if I went to the MSCC I would want to possibly study the successful components of their whale shark ecotourism efforts and how the MCSS works in conjunction with the Shark Institute and other more global organization. Good idea or bad idea?

2 comments:

  1. Leah, to answer your last question first, I'd say it sounds like a good idea at this point. Backing up the post a little bit, I want to commend you for pursuing your reading research while you're awaiting word on your internship possibilities. Scientists spend a lot of time waiting to hear from grant committees and so forth. Using that down time to enhance your literature review and general knowledge of your field is always smart practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah,
    I very much admire your work so far and fully trust you to keep making progress. Keep reading. Keep thinking.
    By the way, the Washington Post had a nice article about whale sharks gathering off the Isle of Mujeras (sp?) -- maybe three or four days ago.

    ReplyDelete